All books written by or about Thomas Merton (TM)/Patrick Hart, OCSO/Carthusian Publications ~ I began in earnest reading TM while my mother (d. 2000) was taking chemo at CHRISTUS St. Patrick Hospital. I would walk over to the Sister’s convent (CCVI’s) and by invitation, go up to the second floor library and check out TM books; the following week return them and check out more! He was the perfect author for me at that time and a beautiful relationship was born during the dying process. I have thanked the Sisters many times over for their generosity and hospitality! Bro. Patrick Hart is a friend of my friend, Father Donald Pelous when he was a Brother before being ordained! Fr. Donald taught me in elementary and high school and we have talked of going to the Abbey of Gethsemane Monastery in KY where TM lived…made it to ‘Gethsemane’ November 2010! Printed above the arched way, “God Alone”!
1. Ascent to Truth
2. An Introduction Thomas Merton William H. Shannon
3. A Merton Celebration Tributes from friends of the poet-monk edited by Deba Patnaik
4. A Search for Solitude Pursuing the Monks True Life
5. A Seven Day Journey with Thomas Merton Esther de Waal
6. A Thomas Merton Reader Edited by Thomas P. McDonnell
7. An Introduction Thomas Merton William Shannon
8. Contemplative Prayer
9. Dialogues with Silence
11.Life and Holiness
12.Meditations with Merton Nicki Verploegen Vandergrift
13.Merton A Biography Monica Furlong
14.Merton’s Palace of Nowhere James Finley
15. Merton and Waugh A Monk, A Crusty Old Man & The Seven Storey Mountain Mary Frances Coady
16.New Seeds of Contemplation
17.No Man Is An Island
18.Opening the Bible
19.Seasons of Celebration
20.Seeds Thomas Merton Selected and edited by Robert Inchausti
21.Seeds of Contemplation
22.Seeds of Destruction
23.Seeking God in All Things Lenten Prayer with Thomas Merton
24.The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton Michael Mott
25.Silent Lamp The Thomas Merton Story William H. Shannon
26.Something of a Rebel Thomas Merton His Life and Works An Introduction William H. Shannon
27.Soul Searching The Journey of Thomas Merton
28.Survival or Prophecy Thomas Merton Jean Leclercq
29.The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton ed. Naomi Burton, Brother Patrick Hart and James Laughlin
30.The Hidden Ground of Love The Letters of Thomas Merton
31.The Intimate Merton
32.The Last of the Fathers
33.The Literary Essays of Thomas Merton
34. The Man in the Sycamore Tree The good times and hard life of Thomas Merton Photographs by Edward Rice
35.The Seven Story Mountain
36.The Silent Life
37.The Unquiet Monk Thomas Merton’s Questing Faith Michael W. Higgins
38.Thomas Merton M. Basil Pennington
39.Thomas Merton’s Paradise Journey William H. Shannon
40.Thomas Merton: Spiritual Master The Essential Writings Lawrence S. Cunningham
41.Thoughts in Solitude
42.The Waters of Siloe
43.The Way of the Dreamcatcher Spirit Lessons with Robert Lax, Poet, Peacemaker, Sage ~ S.T. Georgiou (Lax was one of TM’s closest friends!) My son handed me this jewel!
44.The Wisdom of the Desert
45.Thomas Merton Faithful Visionary Michael W. Higgins
Thomas Merton: A Spiritual Guide for the Twenty-First Century Fr. Anthony Ciorra, Ph.D. 12 Lectures
A Retreat with Thomas Merton Fr. Donald Goergen, O.P., Ph.D., 6 Conferences
Thomas Merton on Contemplation Introduction by Fr. Anthony Ciorra, Ph.D., 6 Talks
Prayer and Growth in Christian Life by Thomas Merton Introduction by Fr. Anthony Ciorra, Ph.D, 13 Lectures
46. A Guide to Monastic Guest Houses ~ Robert J. Regalbuto!!!!
47. The Rule of St. Benedict ~ Translated with Introduction and Notes by Anthony C. Meisel and M.L. del Mastro
48. Essential Monastic Wisdom Writings on the Contemplative Life ~ Hugh Feiss, OSB
49. The Music of Silence Entering the Sacred Space of Monastic Experience ~ David Steindl-Rast, O.S.B with Sharon Lebell
I received this book as gift prior to five days and nights in the hospital. This author along with Gregorian Chant in my ear gave me complete solace, centering and strength!
50. Benedict’s Way An Ancient Monk’s Insights for a Balanced Life ~ Lonni Collins Pratt and Father Daniel Homan, OSB
51. The Rule of St. Benedict Insight for the Ages ~ Joan Chittister, OSB
52. Wisdom Distilled From The Daily Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today ~ Joan Chittister, OSB
53. In A High Spiritual Season ~ Joan Chittister, OSB
54. Introduction to the Devout Life ~ St. Francis de Sales
55. Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict, A Life-Giving Way ~ Esther de Waal
56. Living With Contradiction Reflections on The Rule of St. Benedict ~ Esther de Waal
57. The Way of Simplicity The Cistercian Tradition ~ Esther de Waal
58. The Ordinary Way A Family Spirituality ~ Dolores Leckey
59. The Monks of New Skete In The Spirit of Happiness
60. The Cloister Walk ~ Kathleen Norris
61. Amazing Grace A Vocabulary of Faith ~ Kathleen Norris
62. The Quotidian Mysteries Laundry, Liturgy and ‘Women’s Work” Kathleen Norris
Mom read this book in my home while resting from chemo treatments. She loved it; would giggle aloud!
63. Illuminated Life: Monastic Wisdom for Seekers of Light ~ Joan Chittister, OSB
64. The Rule of St. Benedict: Insights for the Ages ~ Joan Chittister, OSB
65. The Love of Learning and the Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture – Jean Leclercq
66. Seasons of Grace Wisdom from the Cloister ~ Mother Gail Fitzpatrick, OSB
67. A Listening Heart The Art of Contemplative Living ~ David Steindl-Rast
68. Light from the Cloister A Practical Spirituality for Practical Christians Inspired by Monastic Practice ~ M.Basil Pennington, O.C.S.O.
69. Meditations On the Monk who Dwells in Daily Life ~ Thomas Moore
70. Fifty Days of Solitude ~ Doris Grumbach
71. Trappist Living in the Land of Desire ~ Michael Downey
72. Sabbath Restoring the Sacred Rhythm of Rest ~ Wayne Muller
73. The View From A Monastery ~ Br. Benet Tvedten
74. National Geographic December 1936…an article entitled WHERE EARLY CHRISTIANS LIVED IN CONES OF ROCK A Journey to Cappadocia in Turkey Where Strange Volcanic Pinnacles are Honey combed with Hermit Cells and Monasteries. My sister, Constance Victoria, gave this fascinating treasure to me as a Christmas present!
75. Alone in Community Journeys into Monastic Life Around the World ~William Claassen
76. Spiritual Journey The Monastic Way ~ Jean-Marie Howe, OCSO
77. Hermitage A Place of Prayer and Spiritual Renewal Its Heritage and Challenge for the Future ~ John Michael Talbot (JMT).
My mom and I journeyed with Sr. Yvonne Lerner, OSB to More Mountain, home of JMTs’ Little Portion Hermitage east of Eureka Springs, AR. Sister was a retreat facilitator one weekend in 1999 in this beautiful part of God’s green earth in the mountains and we were given a wonderful tour of this peaceful place. Mom was fascinated as this was her first visit to a hermitage. She stopped and visited with the nuns who were humming amidst their work in the kitchen! Made sense to me!
78. A Place Apart Monastic Prayer and Practice for Everyone ~M. Basil Pennington, OCSO
79. A Monk in the World Cultivating a Spiritual Life ~ Wayne Teasdale
80. Making A Heart for God A Week Inside a Catholic Monastery ~ Dianne Aprile
81. The Monastic Hours Directory for the Celebration of the Work of God and Directive Norms for the Celebration of the Monastic Liturgy of the Hours ~ Anne M, Field, Editor
82. The Inner Room A Journey into Lay Monasticism ~ Mark Plaiss
83. The Genesee Diary: Report from a Trappist Monastery ~ Henri J.M. Nouwen
84. In A Monastery Garden ~ Peplows
85. Finding Grace at the Center ~ Abbot Thomas Keating, OCSO, M. Basil Pennington, OCSO, Thomas E. Clarke, OCSO
86. Spirituality for Everyday Living An Adaptation of the Rule of St. Benedict ~ Brian C. Taylor
87. In This House of Brede ~ Rumer Godden This one is read and re-read and re-read especially when traveling!
88. The Benedictine Way A Novena ~ Joan D. Chittister, OSB
89. Wisdom of the Benedictine Elders Thirty of America’s Oldest Monks and Nuns Share Their Lives’ Greatest Lessons ~ Mark W. McGinnis
90. With Christ The Gospel Under the Guidance of St. Benedict ~ Jean-Francis Baudoz
91. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers Benedicta Ward
92. Dorotheas of Gaza Discourses and Sayings Eric P. Wheeler
93. Radical Hospitality Benedict’s Way of Love ~ Fr. Daniel Homan, O.S.B. and Lonni Collins Pratt
I recently returned from a visit with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at Trinity College in Washington, D.C. A trip to Trinity is never complete without sitting in on an ‘Education for Parish Service’ class, Holy Mass at high noon with the day students, Evening Prayer in the Sisters chapel, dinner and wonderful conversation in the refectory ending the visit with a trip to Newman Bookstore across from Catholic University!!! This is D.C. at its best! While there purchased #48-53 as well as the 2007 Liturgical Desk Calendar and Guide for Christian Prayer/The Liturgy of the Hours!
94. Always We Begin Again: The Benedictine Way of Living ~ John McQuiston, III
95. The Forgotten Desert Mothers Sayings, lives and stories of early Christian women ~ Laura Swan
96. Seeking His Mind 40 Meetings with Christ ~ M. Basil Pennington, O.C.S.O.
97. How To Be A Monastic and Not Leave Your Day Job An Invitation to Oblate Life Brother Benet Tvedten
98. Strangers to the City Reflections on the Beliefs and Values of the Rule of St. Benedict ~ Michael Casey, Monk of Tarrawarra
99. Perspectives on the Rule of Saint Benedict Expanding Our Hearts in Christ ~ Aquinata Bockmann
100. The Age of the Cloister The Story of Monastic Life in the Middle Ages ~
101. The Benedictine Handbook The RED BOOK!
102. Sacred Reading The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina ~ Michael Casey
103. Finding Sanctuary Monastic Steps for Everyday Life ~ Abbot Christopher Jamison
104. Mother Benedict Foundress of The Abbey of Regina Laudis A Memoir ~ Antoinette Bosco
105. Voices of Silence Lives of the Trappists Today ~ Frank Bianco
106. The Convent Cookbook Divine Meals for Families Large and Small ~ Maria Tisdall
107. Silence, Solitude, Simplicity A Hermit’s Love Affair with a Noisy, Crowded and Complicated World ~ Sister Jeremy Hall, OSB
108. Making A Heart for God A Week Inside a Catholic Monastery ~ Dianne Aprile
109. From a Monastery Kitchen! ~ Br. Victor-Antoine D’Avila-Latourrette
110. Passing From Self to God! A Cistercian Retreat ~ Robert Thomas, OCSO
111. Conversations in the Abbey! Senior Monks of Saint Meinrad reflect on their lives ~
Ruth Clifford Engs, Editor
112. Finding the Monk Within Great Monastics Values for Today ~ Edward C. Sellner
113. Beyond the Walls Monastic Wisdom for Everyday Life ~ Paul Wilkes
114. The Oblate Life ~ Edited by Gervase Holdaway, O.S.B.
115. A Monk’s Alphabet ~ Jeremy Driscoll, O.S.B.
116. Resources for Oblates: List of Selected Monasteries with Oblate Programmes and Websites listed to include Benedictine Distance Learning www.idahomonks.org
117. The Monastic Way Ancient Wisdom for Contemporary Living ~
Edited by Hannah Ward and Jennifer Wild
118. Life Lessons from the Monastery Wisdom on Love, Prayer, Calling, and Commitment ~ Jerome Kodell, OSB
119. A Blessed Life Benedictine Guidelines for Those Who Long for Good Days ~ Wil Derkse
120. Dom Gabriel Sortais An Amazing Abbot in Turbulent Times ~ Guy Oury, OSB
121. Wisdom from the Monastery ~ Peter Seewald Read…re-read!
122. Inside the School of Charity ~ Trisha Day
116.Business Secrets of the Trappist Monks One CEO’s Quest for Meaning and Authenticity ~ August Turak
117.I n Good Company The Fast Track from the Corporate World to Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience ~ James Martin, S.J.
118.Lovers of This Place: Monasticism Loose in the Church (Monastic Wisdom) ~ Francis Kline OCSO
119.Benedict in the World: Portraits of Monastic Oblates ~ Linda Kulzer and Roberta Bondi
120.Kodell, Abbot Jerome Don’t Trust the Abbot Musings From the Monastery
121.Barry, William A., S.J. and Robert G. Doherty, S.J. ~ Contemplatives in Action The Jesuit Way
122.Bodo, Murray, O.F.M. ~ A Voice From The Monastery The Place We Call Home Spiritual Pilgrimage As A Path To God
123.Buchanan, Janet ~ Dissertation/1999: Monks Beyond Monastery Walls: Benedictine Oblation and the Future of Benedictine Spirituality
124.Casey, Michael, Monk of Tarrawarra ~ A Guide to Living in the Truth Saint Benedict’s Teaching on Humility
125.Casey, Michael, Monk of Tarrawarra ~ Sacred Reading The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina
126.Casey, Michael, Monk of Tarrawarra ~ A Voice From the Monastery
127.D’Avila-Latourrette, Brother Victor-Antoine ~ Monastery Journey to Christmas Meditations Begin November 15
128.De Waal, Esther ~ A Life-Giving Way A Commentary on the Rule of St. Benedict
129.Feiss, Hugh ~ Order of St. Benedict Essential Monastic Wisdom Writings on the Contemplative Life
130.Field, Anne M., Editor ~ The Monastic Hours Directory for the Celebration of the Work of God and Directive Norms for the Celebration of the Monastic Liturgy of the Hours
131.Freeman, Brendan, OCSO ~ Come and See
132.Fry, Timothy, OSB ~ The Rule of St. Benedict in English
133.Gebuhr, Ann K. ~ Hildegard!
134.Gregory, Pope St. ~ Life and Miracles of St. Benedict
135.Groning, Philip ~ A Film Into Great Silence Inside the Famed Carthusian Monastery
136.Godden, Rumer ~ In This House of Brede I told you I read and re-read!
137.Hahn, Scott ~ Ordinary Work, Extraordinary Grace My Spiritual Journey in Opus Dei
138.Harmless, William S.J. ~ Desert Christians An Introduction to the Literature of Early Monasticism
139.Hamma, Robert M. ~ Along Your Desert Journey
140.Hume, Cardinal Basil, OSB ~ The Intentional Life The Making of a Spiritual Vocation
141.Belden C. Lane ~ The Solace of Fierce Landscapes Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality
142.Le Mee, Katharine ~ Chant The Origins, Form, Practice, and Healing Power of Gregorian Chant
143.Luther, Anne M. ~ Taste and See A Collection of Favorite Recipes from Retreat Centers Cooking for Groups
144.Monaco, Frank ~ Brothers and Sisters [glimpses of the cloistered life]
145.Nugent, Madeline Pecora ~ The Divine Office for Dodos A Step-by-Step Guide to Praying the Liturgy of the Hours
146.Okholm, Dennis ~ Monk habits for Everyday People Benedictine Spirituality for Protestants
147.Pennington, M. Basil, O.C.S.O. ~ Listen With Your Heart Spiritual Living with the Rule of St. Benedict
148.Richardson, Cyril C. Edited by ~ Early Christian Fathers
149.Rippinger, Joel, O.S.B. ~ The Benedictine Order in the United States An Interpretive History
150.Saulnier, Dom Daniel, OSB ~ Gregorian Chant A Guide to the History and Liturgy
151.Shannon, William H. ~ Silent Lamp The Thomas Merton Story
152.Shannon, William H. ~ An Introduction Thomas Merton
153.Steidle ~ The Reverend Basilius & The Rule of St. Benedict
154.Tvedten, Brother Benet ~ View from a Monastery
155.Tracts for Benedictine Oblates, St. Meinrad Archabbey, St. Meinrad, IN:
v Learning the Language of Benedictine Monasticism Thomas Rillo, Author/Oblate
v The Ecological Trend according to St. Benedict Fr. Harold Camacho, OSB
v Ancient Monks Speak to Oblates Thomas Rillo, Author/Oblate
v The Oblate Home: That in All Things God May be Glorified Rev Denis Robinson, OSB/Monk
v St. Scholastica: Finding Meaning in Her Story…Ruth Clifford Engs, PhD/Oblate
v Sacraments and Sacramentals Living in Benedictine SpiritualitymmmFr. Raymond Studzinski, OSB
v ‘Tis a Gift to be Simple…Rev. Noel Mueller, OSB/Monk
v Blessed Marmion: A 21st Century Appreciation Rev. Bernard
v St. Benedict: Hidden Meanings in His Story Ruth Clifford Engs, PhD/Oblate
v Listening Rev. Noah Casey, OSB/Monk
v Sharing the Mind of St. Benedict Archabbot Justin DeVall, OSB/Monk
v A Point to Ponder From The Rule Thomas J. Rillo, Oblate and Editor
v Hearts Burning with the Presence of God Spiritual Direction and The Discernment of the Spirits Rev. Adrian Burke, OSB/Monk
156.Van Zeller, Dom Hubert ~ Holiness for Housewives (and other working women)
157.Van Zeller, Dom Hubert ~ The Holy Rule Notes on St. Benedict’s Legislation for Monks…gift from my sister, Constance Victoria.
158.Waddell, Helen ~ The Desert Fathers
159.Catell, Moore and Rifkin ~ The CEO and the Monk One’s Company’s Journey to Profit and Purpose
160.McColman, Carl ~ Befriending Silence Discovering The Gifts of Cistercian Spirituality
161.Malone, Margaret SGS ~ Living in the House of God Monastic Essays
162.Cummings, Charles OCSO ~ Monastic Practices
163.Werner, Robert OSB ~ Reaching for God The Benedictine Oblate Way of Life
164.Nault, Jean-Charles OSB ~ The Noonday Devil Acedia, The Unnamed Evil of Our Times
165.Sarah, Robert Cardinal with Nicolas Diat ~ The Power of Silence Against the Dictatorship of Noise
166.Steindle-Rast, Brother David The Way of Silence Engaging the Sacred in Daily Life Wonderful! Wonderful!!
167.Report From Calabria A Season with the Carthusian Monks by A Priest
168.In Praise of The Useless Life A Monk’s Memoir
169.Cloister Talks Learning From My Friends The Monks Jon M. Sweeney
170.Befriending Silence Discovering the Gifts of Cistercian Spirituality Carl McColman
171.The Holy Rule Notes on St. Benedict’s Legislation for Monks by Dom Hubert Zeller
172.GRACE On The Journey to God Michael Casey Monk of Tarrawara “He weaves diverse sources into his own pondering, with wisdom gained from decades of living monastic life. A gentle spiritual master – journey with him” and , “…inviting exploration of the ways God reaches out to us, draws near to us, and leads us.” Lead, kindly Light, indeed!
173.Aging Starts in Your Mind You’re only as old as you feel
Abbot Primate Notker Wolf, O.S.B with Leo G. Linder
174.No End To The Search Experiencing Monastic Life Mark Plaiss
· Apophthegmata Patrum
o The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection. Trans. Benedicta Ward, SLG. London: Mowbrays, 1975.
o The Desert Fathers. Trans. Helen Waddell. New York: Sheed and
o Ward, 1936.
o The Life of Anthony and the Letter to Marcellinus. Trans. Robert C. Gregg. Classics of Western Spirituality (CWS). New York: Paulist Press, 1980.
o Ascetical Works. Trans. M. Monica Wagner. Fathers of the Church 9. Washington, DC: The Catholic University of America (CUA) Press, 1950.
· Benedict of Nursia
o RB 1980: The Rule of St. Benedict. Ed. Timothy Fry, OSB. Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1981.
o The Institutes and Conferences. Trans. Edgar C.S.Gibson. Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, vol. 11. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1964.
o Conferences. Trans. Colm Luibheid. Classics of Western Spirituality (CWS). New York: Paulist Press, 1985.
· Evagrius Ponticus
o Evagrius Ponticus: The Praktikos: Chapters on Prayer. Trans. John Eudes Bamberger. Cistercian Studies 4. Spencer, MA: Cistercian Publications, 1972.
o The "Ad Monachos" of Evagrius Ponticus: Its Structure and a Select Commentary. Driscoll, Jeremy, OSB. Rome: Studia Anselmiana 104 (1991).
o The Mind’s Long Journey to the Holy Trinity: The Ad Monachos of Evagrius Ponticus. Trans. and intro. Jeremy Driscoll, OSB. Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1993.
· Gregory the Great
o Dialogues. Trans. Odo J. Zimmerman. Washington, DC: The Catholic University of American (CUA) Press, 1959.
o The Life and Miracles of St. Benedict: Book Two of the Dialogues. Trans. Odo J. Zimmerman and Benedict Avery. Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1949.
o The Life of Saint Benedict. Trans. Hilary Costello and Eoin de Bhaldraithe. Commentary by Adalbert de Vogüé. Petersham, MA: St. Bede Publications, 1993.
o Pastoral Care. Trans. and annotated Henry Davis, SJ. Ancient Christian Writers (ACW)
· John Climacus
o The Ladder of Divine Ascent. Trans. Colm Luibheid and Norman Russell. Classics of Western Spirituality (CWS). New York: Paulist Press, 1957.
o The Song of Songs: Commentary and Homilies. Trans. and annotated R.P.Lawson. Ancient Christian Writers (ACW) 26. Westminster, MD: Newman Press, 1957.
o Pachomian Koinonia. Vol. I: The Life of St. Pachomius and His Disciples. Trans. Armand Veilleux, OCSO. Cistercian Studies 45. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1980.
o Pachomian Koinonia. Vol. II: Pachomian Chronicles and Rules. Trans. Armand Veilleux, OCSO. Cistercian Studies 46. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1981.
o Pachomian Koinonia. Vol. III: Instructions, Letters, and Other Writings of St. Pachomius and His Disciples. Trans. Armand Veilleux, OCSO. Cistercian Studies 47. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1982.
· Aelred of Rievaulx
o Mirror of Charity. Trans. Elizabeth Connor, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 17. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1990.
o Spiritual Friendship. Trans. Mary Eugenia Laker, SSND. Cistercian Fathers Series 5. Washington, DC: Cistercian Publications, 1974.
· Bernard of Clairvaux
o On Loving God. Trans. Robert Walton, OSB. Cistercian Fathers Series 13B. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1994.
o On Precept and Dispensation.(Treatises I) Trans. Conrad Greenia, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 1. Spencer, MA: Cistercian Publications, 1970.
o On the Song of Songs I. (Sermons 1-20) Trans. Kilian Walsh, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 4. Spencer, MA: Cistercian Publications, 1971.
o On the Song of Songs II. (Sermons 21-46) Trans. Kilian Walsh, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 7. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1976.
o On the Song of Songs III. (Sermons 47-66) Trans. Kilian Walsh, OCSO, and Irene M. Edmonds. Cistercian Fathers Series 31. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1979.
o On the Song of Songs IV. (Sermons 67-86) Trans. Irene M. Edmonds. Cistercian Fathers Series 40. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1980.
o The Steps of Humility and Pride. Trans. M. Ambrose Conway, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 13A. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1989.
· Guerric of Igny
o The Liturgical Sermons: Vol. I. Trans. Hilary Costello, OCSO, and John Morson, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 8. Spencer, MA: Cistercian Publications, 1971.
o The Liturgical Sermons: Vol. II. Trans. Hilary Costello, OCSO, and John Morson, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 32. Spencer, MA: Cistercian Publications, 1971.
· William of St. Thierry
o The Golden Epistle: A Letter to the Brethren at Mont Dieu. Trans. Theodore Berkeley, OCSO. Cistercian Fathers Series 12. Spencer, MA: Cistercian Publications, 1971.
· Bouyer, Louis.
o The Cistercian Heritage. Westminster, MD: Newman Press, 1958.
· Burrows, Ruth.
o Guidelines for Mystical Prayer. London: Sheed and Ward, 1976.
· Butler, Cuthbert, OSB.
o Western Mysticism. New York: Dutton, 1923.
· Casey, Michael, OCSO.
o Athirst for God: Spiritual Desire in Bernard of Clairvaux’s Sermon on the Song of Songs. Cistercian Studies 77. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1988.
o Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina. Liguori, MO: Triumph Books, 1996.
o Toward God: The Ancient Wisdom of Western Prayer. Liguori, MO: Triumph Books, 1995.
· Chitty, Derwas, J. The Desert a City: Introduction to Egyptian and Palestinian Monasticism. Oxford: Blackwell, 1966.
· De Vogüé, Aldalbert, OSB.
o The Rule of Saint Benedict: A Doctrinal and Spiritual Commentary. Cistercian Studies 54. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1983.
o Reading Saint Benedict. Cistercian Studies 151. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1994.
· Downey, Michael.
o Trappist: Living in the Land of Desire. Photographs by Michael Mauney. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1997.
· Gilson, Etienne.
o The Mystical Theology of St. Bernard. Cistercian Studies 120. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1990.
· Hausherr, Iréneé, SJ.
o Penthos: The Doctrine of Compunction in the Christian East. Trans. Anselm Hufstader, OSB. Cistercian Studies Series 53. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1982.
· Kelty, Matthew, OCSO.
o Aspects of the Monastic Calling. Abbey of Gethsemani, 1975.
· Kline, Francis, OCSO.
o Lovers of the Place: Monasticism Loose in the Church. Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1997.
· Knowles, David.
o Christian Monasticism. World University Library. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1969.
· Leclercq, Jean, OSB.
o Bernard of Clairvaux and the Cistercian Spirit. Cistercian Studies 16. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1976.
o The Love of Learning and the Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture. Trans. Catharine Misrahi. New York: Fordham University Press, 1961.
· Lekai, Louis.
o The Cistercians: Ideals and Reality. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press, 1977.
· Louf, André, OCSO.
o Teach Us to Pray: Learning a Little about God. Trans. Hubert Hoskins. Chicago: Franciscan Herald Press, 1975.
o The Cistercian Way. Trans. Nivard Kinsella, OCSO. Cistercian Studies 76. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1989.
· Marmion, Columba, OSB.
o Christ, the Ideal of the Monk. St Louis: Herder, 1929.
o Christ, the Ideal of the Priest. St. Louis: Herder, 1952.
o Christ, the Life of the Soul. St. Louis: Herder, 1925.
o The English Letters. Baltimore, MD: Helicon, 1962.
· McGinn, Bernard.
o The Growth of Mysticism: Gregory the Great through the 12th Century. New York: Crossroad, 1994.
· Merton, Thomas.
o The Monastic Journey. Ed. Patrick Hart. Cistercian Studies 133. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1992. [Much of Merton’s vast output is still in print and readily available. All of it is recommended.]