'Books in General'
In addition ~ Monthly Reading naming a few areas of interest:
Paper: National Catholic Register; Newsletters of Religious Orders: Sisters of Divine Providence/San Antonio, TX, Order of St. Benedict/Jonesboro, AR, Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur/Washington, D.C., Our Lady of the Angels Monastery, Hanceville, AL, Order of Carmelites/New Orleans, LA, ‘Our State;/NC, SHARE/Catholic Daughters of America, COLUMBIA/Knights of Columbus
Electronic: The Vatican, St. Meinrad Archabbey/St. Meinrad, IN; Belmont Abbey/Belmont, NC, Digital Architecture, Center for Basque Studies, University of Reno/NV, Smithsonian Institute, Metropolitan Museum of Art
Topics: Monastic Spirituality, Saints, The Popes, Church Fathers, Desert Fathers/Mothers, The Treasury of Catholic Wisdom/Twenty Centuries of the Spirit and Substance of Catholicism!, Historical Biographies
After reading this wonderful book and having planned a trip to my husbands’ island home of Caguas, Puerto Rico, I was able to journey to Sr. Isolina’s office where my son and I were graciously received. She signed my book and in it is a photo of she standing next my son, a true treasure!
The sheet music entitled ‘Lead, Kindly Light by Steven C. Warner was given as gift from Sr. Camille Martinez and I have learned it on my autoharp in the key of C!
Robert J. Wicks
When my husband and I drove from Pennsylvania to Panama, Central America (1978 - 7,500 miles!), I fell in love with the bright colors of the fabric and the wonderfully intricate design of the peoples of Mexico and Central America. Then I saw my first molas! Then I discovered Aboriginal art! (I have always been drawn to the stick people art! When I sketch, I sketch hieroglyphs!)
Bro. David Steindl-Rast
I love to read books on Architecture. I really like adobe and the Spanish design with the interior courtyard and fountain, Study and Design of Interior Space, Indigenous Furniture Making, especially Swedish Country and Shaker and Landscape Architecture focusing on outdoor ‘rooms.’ While residing in Washington, D.C., I frequented the National Building Museum often; I purchased an architect’s tie in the gift shop and wear it proudly!!
Abbe Francis Trochu.
I just secured Saint Bernadette Soubirous by Abbe Trochu at the recommendation of my teacher and friend, Rev. Donald Pelous.
I’m fascinated by the ‘Holy Veil of Veronica’ and am in pursuit of more information on this beautiful Devotion to the Holy Face!
Peter M. Senge
Tryon Edwards, D.D., C.N. Catrevas, A.B. and Jonathan Edwards, A.M.
One of my absolute favorites! Thank you Sr. Collette Trahan for this priceless gift!
An absolute favorite, absolutely!!
Thomas Dubay, S.M.
by Father Moye, Priest, Apostolic Missionary, their Founder
Rev. John A. Kane
James Martin, S.J.
A Memoir ~ Carol DeChant
Gwendolyn Clare Gauthreaux-Sherburne, my first cousin, purchased this book and waited in a long line for an inscription from Dr. Hahn after his lecture in Montgomery, AL on 27 April 2013. She uttered to him “My cousin, Bernadette, walks with you in her ear every morning after Mass and said for me to tell you that you and she are growing old together; that she couldn’t walk without you! Thank you for writing!!” His inscription with signature... “You’re welcome!!!” I really think the man might have been speechless!! I constantly watch for him on EWTN and learn so very much from everything that pours forth from his mouth!!! Recently while seated next to a religious she shared with me that her sister is in his parish and that they are the most wonderful, ordinary and humble of families serving in every parish ministry where help is needed!! God bless them all!
My nephew, Nique, and I are planning to walk The Camino in three years2016…let us begin this pilgrimage with a little reading!! It should help the resolve!
I just can’t read enough about St. John Mary Vianney, the Curé de Ars!
By Sister Louanna Orth, SNDdeN
Sister Mary Generosa Callahan, C.D.P.
I will cease fire for now for I want to read, read, read!!!
This smattering of resources, references and books should get you started!!!
Absolutely love this venue in gifting for others; everyone wins
for ‘to know Him is to love Him is to serve Him!’
Upon request, audiocassettes (Really! Audiocassettes!! Keep reading!!) galore were given to me by Sr. Eileen Sweeney S.N.D de N. of Trinity University, Washington, D.C.. They are of lectures for the ‘Education for Parish Service Program’ over a three year period. The majority of tapes are of Fr. David Reid, SS.CC. and Sr. Mary Ann Cook, SNDdN. Other audiocassettes were gifts from my mentor, pastor, teacher and friends, Msgr. Irving A. DeBlanc and Fr. Donald Pelous and others acquired over time.
I walk after daily Mass, a task that I would find impossible to do without these wonderful tapes/CDs in my ear with mind fully engaged while feet trod!
A few listed …
1. A Journey Into Faith: The Spirituality of Thomas Merton Talks by:
John Eudes Bamberger O.C.S.O., Henri Nouwen and David Steindl-Rast O.S.B.
2. Thomas Merton Tapes (His Lectures at Abbey of Gethsamani! Wonderful!)
3. Going on Retreat with Fr. Brian Mullady
4. Back to Basics by Fr. Brian Mullady (Understanding Catholic Faith Through the Apostles Creed…)
5. A Tour of the Catechism Fr. Brian Mullady
6. The Nature and Person of Christ Fr. Brian Mullady, O.P.
7. An Evangelization Retreat Live Fr. Brian Mullady
8. History of the Catholic Church Fr. Charles Conner
9. Veritatis Splendor The Splendor of Truth Fr. George Rutler
10. The Apologetics of St. Thomas Aquinas with Mark McNeil
11. The Answers to the Seven Burdens of Life Based on the Seven Last Words of Christ Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
12. Living the Call of Peace Fr. Benedict Groeschel
13. A Biblical Understanding of Mary Scott Hahn
14. The Gospel of Mark Dr. Scott Hahn
15. The Sermon on the Mount by Scott Hahn
16. The First Epistle of Peter A Bible Study with Scott Hahn
17. Eternal Life presents…His Eminence, Francis Cardinal Arinze “The Liberating Power of the Catholic Church” & Father John A. Hardon, S.J., S.T.D. “…Not Only Will They Not be Saved” …responsibility as a Catholic in today’s world. Absolutely powerful!
18. “The Bible Says What?” Dealing with Difficult Scripture Passages
Rev. J. Patrick Mullen, S.T.L., Ph.D.
19. The New Testament: A Guided Tour Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D.
20. The Trinity Exploring the Great Christian Mystery Fr. John Farrelly, OSB
21. God and Nature in Western Thought from the Dark Ages to the Enlightment David J. Collins, S.J., Ph.D
22. The Gospel of Mark Fr. John R. Donahue, S.J.
23. St .Augustine: Life, Eloquence and Theology Fr. William Harmless, S.J.
24. Themes of the Gospel of John John Sanford
25. The Eagle’s Flight John Sanford
26. The Great Courses Philosophy & Intellectual History The Ethics of Aristotle Father Joseph Koterski, S.J.
27. Letter of St. Paul to the Romans It’s Message for Today’s Church Fr. Stephen Doyle, ofm, S.S.L.
28. The Book of Job as a Drama Rev. Lawrence J. Boadt, csp, SSD
29. The Book of Daniel and Biblical Apocalyptic for the Millennium
Rev. Lawrence J. Boadt, C.S.P.
30. Discovering the Power of Genesis Rev. Lawrence J. Boadt, C.S.P., STD
31. The Book of Three Ages Isaiah Rev. Lawrence J. Boadt, csp, S.S.D.
32. Prophecy in the Old Testament Part One Carroll Stuhlmueller, CP
33. Finding the God Within The Message of Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity
Margaret Dorgan, DCM
34. Failure of the Liturgical Reform Abbot Boniface Luykx
35. Welcome to the Catholic Church on CD-Rom
36. Therese An Intimate Companion Bishop Patrick V. Ahern
37. St. Therese of Lisieux A Triduum Bishop Patrick V. Ahern
38. God in the Human Story Through the Eyes of Thesese of Lisieux
Sr. Vilma Seelaus, ocd
39. Making Sense Out Of Suffering Dr. Scott Hahn
40. Why Do We Have A Pope? Dr. Scott Hahn
41. The True Meaning of Christmas Archbishop Fulton Sheen
42. The True Meaning of Easter Archbishop Fulton Sheen
43. Signs of Life Catholic Customs and their Biblical Roots Dr. Scott Hahn
44. Abba or Allah Important Differences Between Catholicism and Islam
Dr. Scott Hahn
45. A Journey Through Advent Fr. Robert Barron
46. Who Do You Say That I Am? The Four Great Expectations of the Messiah
Fr. Robert Barron
47. Following The Call of Christ Biblical Stories of Conversion
Fr. Robert Barron
48. Seven Deadly Sins Seven Lively Virtues Fr. Robert Barron
Will cease fire for now for I want to read, read, read!!!